Press Twitter Contact The Store About Tracie Home

February 15, 2008

So Very Enchanted...

The Enchanted Cottage and Popcorn
*Indulgent Topping Recipe* Included!

This is what we watched last night,
I forgot just what a beautiful movie it is - In case you're
looking for a recommendation some time soon~

...And I won't tell too much - no spoiler alerts here!

The Enchanted Cottage is a movie from 1945 starring Robert Young, Dorothy McGuire and Mildred Natwick. It was based on a play by Arthur Wing Pinero.

When Oliver Bradford is disfigured by war wounds, he hides from his family and fiancée, renting a cottage from Mrs. Minnett.

Herbert Marshall is the blind piano player. He will steal your heart with his words of wisdom, beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder. There are so many great quotes from this character alone, that I wanted to keep backing up my TiVo to listen to his calm voice reassuring the characters and myself in this movie.

It is said that this movie was notable as an attempt to change attitudes to facial disfigurement, at a time when many wounded servicemen were returning home after World War II.

Grab a big bowl of popcorn this weekend, your drink of choice (diet Coke with lemon for me) and give it a try. Please let me know if you do.

Indulgent Popcorn topping recipe!
Pop your favorite popcorn - we like Old-Fashioned Jiffy Pop or Paul Newman Organics is a favorite too!

2-3 T butter melted (or Promise Omega-3 Spread, yes I've used this and it's really good)
1 tsp truffle oil added to melted butter
sprinkling of dried basil and garlic seasoning (we use Lawry's)
3 T Parmesano Reggiano cheese finely grated - or any kind of cheese you like!

OK, this is how we do it. Three layers: Popcorn, some of the butter/truffle oil mixture, sprinkle garlic seasoning and dried basil lightly, add 1/3 parmesan cheese
Repeat two times! ~Enjoy!
(It's also wonderful with a dash of spicy pepper, like cayenne seasoning, but just a touch)

We didn't have popcorn on Valentine's, so I think I'll have to make some this weekend!


Now, that's done ~

I'm off Friday morning to travel a couple of towns over to hit some antique sales, my husband's working at home and can watch our daughter recuperate, so this recluse needs to get out of the house. Hope I find some good things. Guess I better take that wicker table out of the back of my car!

Beauty pleases the eyes only;
Sweetness of disposition charms the soul
~Voltaire


Happy, Happy Weekend!
xoxo, Tracie

13 comments:

Alicia ~ Time Worn Style said...

OOoh I think i have seen this movie, its a lovely one. I think I will try to find it and watch again, thanks for bringing it back!
Alicia ~ time worn style

NAME: CIELO said...

Good morning, sweethart! Please come visit me; I have something special for you in my blog.

thanks

Cielo

bj said...

Hi...I'm bj and I just came over from Cielo's to meet you. She is crazy about you and your blog so I thought I had better see just what I am missing!
You have a beautiful blog and I am anxious to read it all....
Come by to see me sometime.
hugs, bj

Shabbyfufu said...

You are a true romantic Tracie! Enjoy your weekend, shopping, movies, popcorn and dreaming.....XO~ Janet
P.S....Much to my chagrin, I don't own a MAC (old time PC gal:-).

Jeannene said...

What an Enchanting Blog you have here!! Have a lovely Friday!
Blessings,
Jeannene
(Love Conquers All)

Dona said...

I love that movie. The first time I saw it with my grandma when I was around 7. She took me to an old movie theater, gone now ofcourse. But what memories!

Hope you did some great finding today.

Dona

A Romantic Porch said...

Tracie, I hope you found some great sales!!! I can't wait to see. I'll have to get that movie at the library. I love old movies, and to say that I love popcorn, would be an understatement!!! Thanks for sharing!! Have a wonderful weekend. xo Rachel

P.S. gotta go see what sweet thing cielo is doing for you!!!!!!!!!! You deserve it.

Pam Aries said...

I LOVE me some popcorn ha!!! I will try this topping..
it sounds wonderful. I love truffle too! There is a truffle cheese which
I get for special occaisions yum!

Lisa & Alfie at The Pickled Hutch said...

Hi Tracie,
Thanks for stopping by to visit. I read your profile and found we have a lot of favorites in common. (I love Haunted Honeymoon!) I also love old movies and find a lot of inspiration for my store there. I'll be adding your charming blog to my blogroll and hope you'll stay in touch!
Love,
Lisa & Alfie

Mandii said...

This movie sounds like one Im going to have to find & watch. OHH and the pop corn sounds mouth watering!! Tim had pop corn the other night but it was a reduced fat one and I tell ya it was like eating cardboard, EEWW so bland and boring!! If ya gonna eat pop corn go for the full flavour!!
hugs
mands

Penny @ Lavender Hill Studio said...

I love movies like that! I will have to rent it. And boy! those popcorn toppings sound great!

Hope you find some wonderful items on your antique hunt...
Penny

Penny @ Lavender Hill Studio said...

Oh! And you did make me laugh about driving your poor wounded brother to a drug clinic to get stitches!! LOL
Hugs,
Penny

Loving Her Beautiful said...

Hi, Tracie,
Thanks for checking for more updates. I'll be posting the first of my writings tomorrow!
You site is certainly beautiful! VERY inspiring! And I can't wait to check out the movie!
Blessings,
BILL