Press Twitter Contact The Store About Tracie Home

May 28, 2011

Memorial Day Weekend

Thoughts for the long weekend...



May 5, 1868, the head of an organization of Union veterans — the Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) — established Decoration Day as a time for the nation to decorate the graves of the war dead with flowers. Maj. Gen. John A. Logan declared that Decoration Day should be observed on May 30. It is believed that date was chosen because flowers would be in bloom all over the country.

The first large observance was held that year at Arlington National Cemetery, across the Potomac River from Washington, D.C.

The ceremonies centered around the mourning-draped veranda of the Arlington mansion, once the home of Gen. Robert E. Lee. Various Washington officials, including Gen. and Mrs. Ulysses S. Grant, presided over the ceremonies. After speeches, children from the Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Orphan Home and members of the GAR made their way through the cemetery, strewing flowers on both Union and Confederate graves, reciting prayers and singing hymns.
Old French Memorial War Remembrance Piece from WWI.   A gift to my step-father.

In Flanders Fields
By John McCrae
In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly.
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.






For You~
Wishing you a nice long weekend

take a moment to remember
...
And give all your loved ones a big hug!


My dad (2nd from left) & trusted, good friends


Happiness to you,


24 comments:

Pink Icing on the Cake said...

Hi Tracie,
What a great post, thanks for giving us a little history lesson today. I miss you, you haven't been by for a few days. Have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend.

Hugs,
LeAnn:)

Donna Lynn said...

Tracie, this is a wonderful post, it really gives you insight into what they did for our country!
I am thankful for each and every military person giving their whole life to keep us safe, and to help other people stay free too...

Have a wonderful weekend!
XO,
DL

Glenda~Many Fond Memories said...

Tracie,
A very nice tribute to the fallen of our wars. How unfortunate that we have to celebrate the loss of men and women.
It will be a long weekend, I wish the solders could take a long weekend from all there duties.

Ciao
Glenda

Fete et Fleur said...

This is beautiful Tracie. Thank you for the history on this holiday. Hope you have a great weekend!

xx Nancy

Brenda Kula said...

You have a safe and wonderful weekend yourself. See you next week here in blogland!
Brenda

Linda said...

Tracie, beautiful post and a lovely tribute to our fallen heroes.

Have a happy weekend. Hugs, Linda

A Romantic Porch said...

Tracie, This is a beautiful posting. Just what I needed to kick off the holiday weekend with a great start. Enjoy! xorachel

Siobhan said...

Tracie, beautiful post! I hope you have a wonderful Memorial Day sweetie.

Siobhan xo

Rue said...

Good morning Tracie :)

I missed you too!! I hope you're much better now.

This is a wonderful post. Thank you for the tribute to our fallen heros :)

Have a beautiful Memorial Day weekend!
hugs and love,
rue

Pearl said...

Hi Tracie...
Such a lovely post... and a touching tribute. I would like to thank you for visiting my blog and leaving such a nice comment. It's a pleasure to meet you, as well ~smiles~ I've marked you so I can return many times! I hope that your weekend has been wonderful and I'm looking forward to more visits...

~blessings~
Pearl

Brook said...

Very nice! Thank you. Happy weekend.

Blessings
Brook

Donna Lynn said...

Good Morning!
Hope you are having a wonderful weekend so far! We spent Fri. and Sat. getting my BFF all packed up for her move to TN, she pulls out this AM to drive back...holy cow, it is costing her $700 bucks for gas! Can you believe how expensive it is now?
I am flying down in a week to spend 7 days getting her all unloaded and moved into her new home, that will be fun seeing Nashville and historic Franklin! I will have to blog about it...

XO, Donna Lynn

Dona said...

Tracie, I think you should write a book. Your posts read like a wonderful victorian diary. I think you really should do it. It would make great romantic reading.

Dona

Counting Your Blessings said...

Beautiful post, Tracie. Blessings... Polly

NeereAnDear said...

Beautiful sentiment and love th history of Memorial Day... funny I had looked it up too and had almost posted about but things got in the way and was not able to do it... glad you did... it speaks volumes

HUGS

JO

Mandii said...

Tracie, thanks so much for filling us in on some History always great to read about that!!
Hope your well sweetie!!
take care
mands

Lisa & Alfie Wilson said...

A lovely and thoughtful post Tracie. This is usually a day of sentiment and introspection for me in particular as I lost my dad in the Vietnam War. Ironically, my best friend called me today from the Vietnam Memorial in Washington. His timing and kind words always seems to be perfect. Good friends are just like that aren't they?
Lisa & Alfie

Ellenay Designs said...

Thanks Tracie for this interesting post. It was so moving and beautiful.I hope you had a great day!
xo
Lori

Gail McCormack said...

A lovely post Tracie!

Lynne Laura said...

Hi Tracie,

I love this post and that poem is wonderful...how thoughtful.

Kindredly, Lynne Laura

HWIT BLOGG said...

Lovely post and lovely pictures!!!
Best wishes,
Titti

DEB said...

Dear Tracie...Thank you SO much for the lovely post & tribute to our brave soldiers!! Means so much to me..as my new son-in-law is headed to Afgh. next month. All this is new to daughter & my family...but we will get thru with prayers!!I am so proud of him & ALL our soldiers...they all have stories & families..
Have a wonderful weekend dear friend!
Hugs..
Deb:) xoxo

kerrie of sea cottage said...

Your Dad is so handsome. My Grandpa was in WWII. My Dad was a marine and my brother was a marine in the Desert Storm war. I always attend our city parade...and wave to all the Vets. ox

Shabbyfufu said...

Wonderful reminder to all Tracie and very nicely done.

Being a late "baby boomer" era girl....my father was a WWII soldier. He was stationed in North Africa and became ill with Malaria and then was stationed in Italy for the duration and was severely injured from bomb shrapnel. I for one have always been appreciative of those who give for our country....they are so brave!

xoxo to you dear...
Janet