Press Twitter Contact The Store About Tracie Home

February 25, 2011

A Special Guest Interview ~ Shabbyfufu's Janet Coon

Bonjour every one!

Haven't posted for quite some time, I've been concentrating on one of my loves, 
French antiques & vintage boutique, My Petite Maison and of course, 
watching after my fuzzy friend, Zeke.

I wanted to share my view while walking by a local B & B the other day... 
The blooms are so pretty here in town.  

You wouldn't guess there's a storm warning 
and snow could be falling soon here now would you? 


Now... on to the really good thing that's 
happening here with someone quite special.

This weekend, I am thrilled to share with you, a special interview with Janet Coon, Proprietress of Shabbyfufu.

Please join me for this interview and share in some of Janet's beautiful photography from her flea market adventures and her studio as well!
 




What are your favorite flea markets to shop in the U.S. & overseas?

 

I've been flea market shopping for decades, it's addicting! I have vivid recall of being taken to my first flea market by an aunt that was an avid collector. I was staying with her one summer up in New Jersey and I think that I was around 8 or 9 years old at the time. I purchased a vintage perfume bottle that would probably qualify as a true antique if I still had it now! That same aunt had many collections of old junk and I remember being quite fascinated with it all. I guess you you could say that I was hooked on junk at a young age.



Since my first foray to the flea I've been to dozens and dozens over the years in several states as well as overseas in several countries.



Beautiful Chanel in Vintage Clothing Store




I always enjoy going to Renninger's in Mount Dora, Florida…which is outside of Orlando. They host extravaganzas three times a year, and I usually attend at least two in search of goodies to resell on my website and to use in my projects.



I don't travel as far and wide within the U.S any longer to shop the fleas for several reasons. As a seasoned "flea chick"…I've seen that "the good stuff" is unfortunately not as plentiful anymore.  With more competition in terms of selling on the internet, I have to watch both what I pay for goods and also my expenses more closely! Now if I am traveling anyway and there is a good flea market I will definitely make an effort to shop until I drop from dawn until dusk!

Cabinets of Curiosities Flea Market Adventures, Shabbyfufu

I love to travel and generally find myself in Europe at least once a year.  In Paris I enjoy the flea markets at the Porte de Vanves (local sellers & some affordability here), as well as Clignancourt (officially Le Puces de Saint-Ouen…especially Marche Paul Bert (fabulous restaurant there too!) and the temporary traveling Brocantes that pop up over town from time to time. I have developed shopping savvy at sniffing out the good stuff BUT….that being said, prices at the fleas in Paris (and France in general) can be tres cher (VERY EXPENSIVE)! Bargains are few and far between for sure and with the dollar being so weak…..well, you get the picture. Just the way that it is…telling it for real here, so go for the fun and the beauty and if you find something it's an added bonus!








What are the essentials you recommend a flea market shopper never be without?


Great shoes….in Europe you may look like a real dorky American in sneaks, so at least try and make them black or somewhat fashionable.

I always pack a hat (fashionable, of course!) and carry my money in a cross body bag or a petite pouch of some sort.

Water

Rolling cart and a hubby to push it!









Do you have a favorite item you've found over the years?

 

Hmmmm…..lots of things! I guess one favorite find that I still have and not sure if I will part with is a collection of late 1800's to early 1900's bound books of La Mode Illustree magazines (hundreds of them!) that I purchased at one of the Brocantes in Paris a couple of years ago.
Janet's La Mode Illustree Magazines Flea Market Find at Paris Brocantes

What was the one thing that got away, that you wish you would have taken home?

I would have to say some pieces of furniture that I have found but just had no way to get them home.


With items you've custom created for a customer, do you have a favorite item you still remember that's close to your heart?

Lately I have been receiving lots of custom orders for my dress forms. I put a bit of myself into each dress form (mannequin) and hours of time….and strive to make each one a beautiful inspiring piece that will be treasured by my romantic at heart clients!







What kind of materials (fabrics, art pieces, etc.) are your favorite or most inspiring to work with when creating a new custom piece for your shop?


I've collected vintage barkcloth and antique lace for many years and really use "the best stuff" when creating….no holding back allowed in the Shabbyfufu studio!















I always find it inspiring to learn what kind of music artists listen to while creating.  Who are your favorite artists/composers you enjoy listening to while creating for your shop?

Classical music, "zen" or "spa" music inspire me without adding too much chaos or clutter to my brain. I live in a very quiet neighborhood, so sometimes I just enjoy working with complete silence or hearing the birds singing outside as well.





The Beautiful Studio of Shabbyfufu Owner, Janet Coon


Thank you, Janet for this interview and sharing your beautiful photos with us too!  

You can visit Janet's shop HERE and her Shabbyfufu blog HERE







After this interview, I can't wait to get out to the flea market and hunt for some wonderful treasures and take in the sights.

I want to mention, Friday is Janet's birthday.  Janet, I wish you a beautiful birthday filled with much beauty, laughter and many special memories shared with your loved ones!


Have a happy weekend all, what's on your list for the weekend? 


Happiness to you,




23 comments:

Amy @MaisonDecor said...

Tracie, I enjoyed looking at the fleas with your guest! Lovely images and what a great studio she has.

KarenHarveyCox said...

What a wonderful interview. I love all of the photographs that you shared, and her studio is amazing.
Karen

Secret Garden Cottage said...

Thank you for introducing us to Janet and Shabbyfufu, my friend! I enjoyed the wonderful pics of all those fabulous flea markets... look at all of those French seltzer/siphon(?) bottles all in one place... sigh...
Can you blieve this crazy weather we're having here in Cali? I'm wondering if we might get snow, too. It's so strange to get weather this cold this late in the season. Love the pic of the magnolia tree... can't wait 'til ours opens up. :)
Hope you have a lovely weekend, Tracie!
xoxo,
Jo

p.s. Anne deleted the post I had the link to in my post. It was a republished post of one she did last year... so here's the link to the original post in case you didn't get to see it:
http://fionaandtwig.blogspot.com/2010/02/blogger-burnout.html
Enjoy! :)

Secret Garden Cottage said...

p.s. happy birthday to Janet! :)

It's me said...

Wowww Tracie what a lot of beautiful stuff !! ...happy weekend darling...enjoy !! love Ria....

Curtains In MY Tree said...

Great post if you like hearing about flea markets and I do. I dream of going to a fabulous open air flea market In the USA

I am headed to the northwest to an old show I use to really enjoy but I want a Paris experience

Janice

Shabbyfufu said...

Merci mon ami....YOU are a very special friend and I am so happy to have met you in the world of blogging.

Hope that you find some beautiful tresors this weekend at the flea market and that the weather cooperates. Thank you again for inviting me to visit....maybe one day we shall do so in person!
xoxo, Janet

kathee said...

Hi Tracie,
Thanks so much for sharing the interview of Janet. I have always enjoyed her finds. The pictures are amazing and I especially love the seltzer bottles! I would love to go to France and shop til I dropped! Take care girl, talk to you soon, xokathee

One Shabby Old House said...

I am always amazed at how many bloggers I probably walk by at Mt. Dora not even knowing I more than likely have read their blog the day before. It was a very nice interview and I enjoyed learning about Janet. She is very talented as are you my friend.
Hugs
Becky

Andrea - Faded Plains said...

The beautiful photos make me anxious for flea market season here...we have a whole 2 flea markets a year...whoohoo...lol.

DEB said...

Tracie...LOVED reading the great interview with sweet & talented Ms. Janet!!! Shes truly a sweetheart & very talented!! Both of you sweet ladies are so talented...I am honored to have both your talents in my home:)
Beautiful pictures hon...Thank You so much!!!
Have a great weekend!
Hugs..
Deb:0 xoxo

VINTAGE HOME lifestyle said...

Great interview Tracie. Love the photos of the bottles...the colors are just amazing.
Looking forward to the Alameda Antique Faire. Let's hope for sunshine! Crazy weather...we had a foot of snow here...cold cold cold.
ox
Cathleen

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Bonjour Tracie!

Congrats on your interview! how exciting!!

Oh how I love flea markets and "junking". I've been to Mount Dora and Ohhhh how I loved it!! I shopped til I dropped. I think I saw everything there and went back to Ohio with a car load of treasures. LOL

Have a grand and blessed weekend!

big hugs, Sherry

Christelle said...

Waouh ...quel régal de découvrir ces anciens objets ou merveilleuses robes de princesses ...Je suis éblouie !

Marianne@Songbird said...

Hmm this post is putting me in the mood for some Flea Market shopping! Can't wait for the season to start again.
Beautiful treasures all around!

Petit Coterie said...

Thank you for sharing this wonderful interview!

xx,
Michelle

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Tracie,

the flea market looks great and I enjoyed the interview with Janet and seeing all the photos thank you.
Love the pretty pink tulle dress.

Happy week
Hugs
Carolyn

Marie Antionette said...

Hello Sweety,
What a wonderful post.I really enjoyed the interview. What lovely places and finds.I love flea markets.Also yard sales.Thank you so much for stopping by. I know I have not been around much ,but you are always in my thoughts.When I listen to my music I always think of you.I made two new Cd's.Some of the newest music.I will send them to you. I know you enjoy them as much as I do.
You give the kids and Zeke a hug for me,
XXOO Marie Antionette

Enzie Shahmiri * Portrait Artist said...

The studio of Shabbyfufu looks lovely. I know what she means about flea markets being addictive. I could get lost there for hours! :)

Hélène Glehen @ Art Glehen : The Painted rose Studio said...

Hello Tracie,
Thank you very much for visiting my artblog.
I return the compliments to you : your blog is beautiful and your cats are so cute.

PRAIRIE GIRL FARM said...

BEAUTIFUL photos and blog!

MamaB said...

I'm a fleamarket/brocante addict, I have a spring in my step when I get up at the crack of dawn on a sunday morning excited about what I might find and here in the South of France, they have fabulous markets. They also have whole villages that have a tabletop sale - just love it and love your blog.

Linda said...

Ooh, what a lovely post! I am so glad I discovered you...Wishing you a beautiful day!