Press Twitter Contact The Store About Tracie Home

September 23, 2011

Favorite Roses of the Moment & Wild Mushroom Couscous with Fresh Lemon Juice


Happy Friday and Happy Autumn/Fall everyone!

I wanted to take a moment and share my favorite reasonably priced roses of the moment.  I've mentioned before that my husband brings me two dozen roses each Friday home to My Petite Maison.

The roses are very reasonably priced at our local grocery store at $14.99 for a bunch (sometimes they're on sale for 10.99 too and I love to get a few bunches).  The roses I'm showing here are called "Timeless".  They are beautiful pale pink as you can see.  Now, I'm usually a white roses fan and I've loved that color flower back as long as I can remember.  The Timeless roses are beautiful and not only look nice, they smell wonderful and perfume the whole room where I place them.


More shots of Timeless roses:



Sometimes I just love cutting them into little jars and glasses instead of leaving their long stems too:




I also wanted to take a moment and post one of the easiest recipes I make here at home for Wild Mushroom and Lemon Couscous.  It's so simple and perfect for the hot days we've been having here in Wine Country.

Here are all the ingredients I use for this delicious dish:



Ingredients for Wild Mushroom & Lemon Couscous





Here's what you need:
2 T butter or margarine (I use Smart Balance)
plus extra 2T butter or margarine for couscous cooking
1/2 tsp sea salt (or to taste)
1 shallot chopped finely
1 cup mushrooms sliced
1 clove garlic minced
1 cup couscous (uncooked)
1 1/4 c water
2 T lemon juice (fresh)
1/4 c Parmesan cheese

In sauté pan,
Melt butter over medium heat and add shallots, garlic and mushrooms
Cook approximately 2 minutes until tender

In medium size saucepan,
Add water, salt, 2 T Smart Balance or butter to boil
Add couscous, stir quickly then add mushroom mixture, stir mixture in,
cover and remove from heat.
Let stand 5 minutes, then fluff with fork.

When ready to serve, add a little extra lemon if desired
and top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese

It's that easy!



Here's the dish finished... Don't forget the grated cheese at the end.  It makes it even more delicious.  Enjoy!



Don't forget the cheese and an extra squirt of fresh lemon juice.


Now, back to the beautiful roses...
I ended up placing them in the master bedroom, a few on each night stand.

I decided to take the photos with the dimly lit lamps on.... I love that romantic look.







Also love seeing the shadows dancing from the little pearls hanging from this lamp... All the little nuances the light adds in the afternoon.



Timeless Roses from grocery store



Finally, the last thing I'd like to do is show this beautiful blouse
my friend, Tausha of Simply Me 
was so kind to send to me earlier in the Summer.

You probably know Tausha's blog, if not go visit,
it's beautiful and she does Shabby Chic like no one else
and is a kind-hearted soul too!
It's lovely and her kindness thrilled me.

Tausha presented it with this beautiful piece of her stash
tied in a bow with tag and wooden close pin that had yet
another darling bow on it as well.










 Lace, lace and more lace...
So feminine, just the look I love!



That's it from me this Friday.  I hope you get a chance to try the couscous recipe and to get some lovely fleurs in your home too.  Things don't have to be difficult in cooking or expensive in decorating to make life a lot more enjoyable!

And speaking of inexpensive, do you keep empty jars that are pretty for your flower arranging too?  It doesn't get easier than that for flower containers that are darling.





I'm really looking forward to this weekend.  There's a new restaurant open in town and Sunday is Petaluma Antiques Faire which I've attended for years.  I'm looking forward to catching up with Michelle of Summer Cottage Antiques while there and doing some shopping for my store.

Have a great weekend... can't wait to share photos from our adventures this weekend.



My Petite Maison
Time Worn • Time Loved Items from France

15 comments:

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

~~~lovely roses.... so pretty...

and the recipe looks great too...love the bowl !!!

have a great weekend,

kary and teddy
xx

Mar said...

What a wonderful way to start the weekend with a new post from you, Tracie!
Your roses are lovely and what a sweetie your hubby is, for delivering them with love each week.
I think Tausha's blog was the very first blog I followed, and I think she is so talented, her home divine, and her taste exquisite. What a lovely person she is to send you something so soft and feminine.
I hope you have a fun filled weekend. My friend Donnasue and I are doing an antique show in Prospect, Colorado. It is always such a busy one!
Sorry this is so long...guess you gave me much inspiration!! xxoo

Blondie's Journal said...

Thanks so much for the recipe for the couscous, Tracie...It looks delicious! I have to try it.

I love your pretty roses...I'm drawn to the pale blush colors, too. Or light pink. They look beautiful alone in the jars, especially on your pretty night stand! What a sweetheart you have for a husband!

It sounds like you have a jam packed weekend!! Have a great time at the restaurant and the fair!!

XO,
Jane

Claudia said...

What a great husband you have, Tracie! Roses every Friday....sigh.

xo
Claudia

Simply Me said...

Beautiful Roses, love the jars !!! Beautiful Blouse .. lol have a great weekend!! Now Im busy Fifi coming Oct 4th HELP!!!

Shabbyfufu said...

What a guy that Shayne is Tracie....but then, you already know that:-). The roses are lovely and I like the way that you put them into little jars like that. Funny, but the ones that I buy here at Whole Foods have almost no smell. Maybe the source....not sure, but I think that they come from Latin America and flown in here.

Enjoy your weekend and happy antiquing! xoxo, Janet
(P.S....glad that you like my nappy/towel idea~really works!)

Sandi said...

Beautiful photos Tracie and yes I keep pretty jars too. :) That recipe sounds yummy as well!!
Blessings~

Bleudelavande said...

Ooohh Tracie, those roses are so pretty and the recipe look so simple and delicious! I'm totally agree with you: we need of simple things to be happy!!!!
Have a nice weekend.

Debbie said...

How refreshing to see the simplicity of gorgeous roses in little jars, instead of the usual large crystal vase.
It shows you don't need a "grand" arrangement to make a statement.
Very nice Tracie.
xxxooo

La Table De Nana said...

The roses in the jam jars:) So pretty everything here..and I have never added parmesan cheese to couscous..Thank you..
have a great weekend..sounds like loads of fun..will you wear your pretty blouse?:)

Tracie~MyPetiteMaison said...

Hi Monique,
Yes, I'll wear my blouse... I'm actually waiting until the end of October when my husband and I take a mini-vacation here in Wine Country.
xoxo

Cindy said...

Your husband buys you two dozen roses every Friday!? Sounds like a keeper to me... and sounds like he loves you to death... That's so so sweet.
The blouse from Tausha is wonderful, she totally knows how to do beautiful shabby chic! How cool that she picked that out just for you...

Cindy

bikim said...

GORGEOUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
happy week,
Rosa

Marie said...

Bonjour Tracie! I love love love your pretty display of beige colored rosebuds, and how cute are those little french jam/jelly jars! What a great idea to use them as vases. Have a wonderful weeke!
-Marie

My Shabby Streamside Studio said...

Soooo sweet, thanks for sharing and I've cut and pasted the couscous for later!

xo

Sandy