Press Twitter Contact The Store About Tracie Home

October 6, 2011

Fall Soup Recipe from My Petite Maison

Hello • Bonjour, Friends!
  



I wanted to share one of very favorite soup recipes now it's Fall and the weather is changing to cooler (for the moment) and we've had a bit of rain this week.  


I don't know about you, but I've got the nesting bug big time this week.  I am savoring this time of year and always have... it's a favorite time of year for moi!  




I love October!


So.... here goes:  My Petite Maison's recipe for Potato Cheese Soup with Fresh Dill from our tiny Paris Apartment sized kitchen!   My husband, daughter and I have refined this recipe to the way WE like it... Right down to the types of potatoes, cheeses and herbes we care for the best!




We hope you will try and enjoy as much as we do.  It's a tradition in our Maison.
 Here's what you'll need... I've taken photos of everything to make it easier!


Everything we use is organic and is processed safely for vegetarians, even the cheese :)


3 medium sized potatoes partially peeled and quartered (we like it rustic & French country style)
3 carrots, sliced
5 T butter or margarine (we use Smart Balance)
1 good sized yellow onion, chopped coursely
1 1/2 cups grated very sharp cheddar cheese 
(we use Collier's Welsh Cheddar from Great Britain)
1 1/2 cups grated mild cheddar cheese (we use Humboldt Gold from Eureka, CA)
 5 1/2 cups vegetable broth (we use Better than Bouillion, organic veggie base and use 2 1/2 tsp added to 5 1/2 C water).  It's an amazing base.
 4 tbsp fresh dill
 1 tsp Beau Monde seasoning  (if you can't find Beau Monde, you could add a tiny dash of celery salt in its place)
 Freshly crushed white peppercorns to taste
 Optional:  1 crushed Thai Red Chili or a few red pepper flakes if you like a bit of a bite to your soups.


That's it!  Here are the photos of the ingredients for you:


 Our partially peeled 3 organic Yukon Gold potatoes



 Better than Bouillion.  Outstanding, organic.  We use the vegetable base.  My husband's a vegetarian and we started using it many years ago.  Now, I would much rather have this than any kind of meat broth.  Superior Touch does make all kinds though... I have tried the mushroom base and the seafood base as well and they are delicious too.  You can find their product HERE (Better Than Bouillion).







  
Thai Bird Eye Chilies


A word of warning... Only add the Thai Bird Eye Chilies if you like  

A LOT of bite.

We love peppers and chilies here.  Did you know that eating chilies can help your mood?  

It's true... endorphins.  Stimulates them, like exercise... happy food!



Beau Monde is an excellent seasoning and contains bits of celery seed, salt & onion.  It is amazing with dill.  My French friend, Jeannette makes an outstanding dip with fresh dill with it... look for that recipe around Thanksgiving.



 Next... can you say fromage?  Cheese!!



Humboldt Gold is amazing.  A cross between Cheddar and Monterey Jack

Collier's from Great Britain.  Amazing!  Add it to a piece of apple pie and you've got a happy marriage.



 Yummy white peppercorns.  We use lots of white pepper here and only freshly ground.  I picked up the white peppercorn habit from my friends that own a French/Vietnamese restaurant in Los Altos many years ago.  There's nothing quite like the crushed peppercorn and a ripe tomato meeting for the first time (in my opinion).


And the star of the show!





Fresh dill.  I buy bunches of organic dill just to keep in the kitchen in a container of water.  It makes the kitchen smell heavenly and lasts that way for days if we're having cool weather.




Now we can start our prep and since it's raining lightly, we open the door to enjoy!




This is my little work area which I love.  By now, you know me... I'd rather be outdoors than indoors any time and this is where I prep when I cook here at My Petite Maison.  I usually sit at a bistro chair or my little white French stool while the cats and Zeke watch.  Whoops, I mean beg for food (Zeke actually doesn't beg, he always looks the opposite way but always knows when we're finished ~ smart guy!).  We taught him early on that it pays not to beg.


Oh... I get so many requests about my French pot rack.  Here's another photo, I'm sorry it's taken me this long to get it up for you!


Pot Rack • French Finds • Stickers courtesy of our daughter and friends... Love it!


Potato Cheese with Fresh Dill
Recipe Steps:



Melt butter in large soup pot
Add onion & carrots.  Cook on medium heat covered for approx. 10 - 15 min. until veggies are soft.


Add veggie (or chicken) stock and add potatoes and bring to a boil.  Next lower heat to medium and cook until potatoes are tender.  


Lightly smash veggies within the broth with a potato masher (we like rustic French soups).  You can use a food processor for this step, but it's just one more dirty dish to clean in the end and we like to avoid that with a French sized kitchen!


Add grated cheese and lower heat to low.  

Once cheeses have melted and blended in within soup base, add Beau Monde seasoning, white pepper and chilies (if desired).  

Stir in seasonings and add fresh dill.  Remove from heat immediately and cover for 5 minutes to allow the dill flavor to be incorporated until soup.

That's it... serve with a crusty French bread and dip!




Potato Cheese Soup, Fresh Dill • Figues et Tomatoes from our Garden

What are you waiting for?  It's time to enjoy.

And for the perfect Mediterranean dessert, try serving figues with a few toasted almonds ~ perfect!
I'm so pleased to have saved a
Noire de Barbentaine tree in the Summer of 2010 with our daughter and we're reaping the rewards!

Home Grown • Noire de Barbentaine Figues  in French transferware



Lastly,

We'd love to announce some of the good news we've savored
in the last few months...

It's with great thanks • merci 
to
Romantic Country Magazine

 

My Petite Maison is featured
in Winter 2011 in
The Blog Spot

Under 
A Gathering of the Best Online Resources 

We ARE Honored.

Us arriving early at Flea Market... searching goods for clients!

So... please visit with us here at our blog
and take a look at our store
specializing in French-Nordic Items
that speak of romance
 
There are a lot of new (old)
romantic French-Nordic goods!

Oyster Crate from France in the Store
and many more to come too.




Time Worn • Time Loved Items from France

11 comments:

Petite Michelle Louise said...

yummy recipe. i wil have to give it a try! congratulations on your Romantic Country feature! i love that magazine!

Pamela said...

Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe! I love your kitchen too!!
Pamela xo

Simply Me said...

Yummy !!! Congrats to you in the magazine !!! Great Job. P.S Fifi love the bowls, she asked Where did you get them from..lol Perfect i will send you the photos soon

kerrie of sea cottage said...

Your tiny kitchen is charming. I am so jealous that you have home grown figs. Lucky girl!

Sandi said...

Your recipe sounds amazing Tracie!! I was just thinking about the tomato bisque recipe too...hmm.
Beautiful home and photos!!
Blessings~

Fete et Fleur said...

Dear Tracie,

Everything is beautiful. Your soup looks amazing. I'm a bit under the weather just now. I think your comforting soup will do me good.

Hugs!
Nancy

P.S. Your store goodies are so very tempting!!

Mar said...

What a delicious posting,Tracie! Can't wait to run out to get some of the ingredients, as we will be very nippy and rainy this weekend. Perfect comfort food!
Your kitchen is so charming...I would just dream the day away over tea. I also, have a little kitchen(in an old home), but have cooked for 50 on many occasions! One must be very organized and like to get chummy with any helpers!
Congratulations on your much deserved recognition. You have created a delightful world for those of us that miss France...we can just tune in to My Petite Maison!
Have a lovely weekend, my sweet friend.xxoo

Simply Me said...

If you order you can order at walmart and the overnite for $13 crazy, not bad!!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Dearest Tracie,

How are you? Everything is as beautiful as ever. Just thought I would come by to say BONJOUR ET BON WEEK END!!! Anita

Mariette's Back to Basics said...

Dearest Tracie,

Congrats for being featured in Romantic Country!
Love your recipe too, glad to see someone else using the Thai spices!

Love to you,

Mariette

Kathy said...

Yes Fall always makes my taste buds want soup. Your recipe sounds devine almost anything can be made better with dill.

I see why you little nook in your kitchen is your favorite. It's very pleasant and oh so charming,

Congratulations on your Etsy notice from Romantic Home.
Thanks for sharing, Kathy